Cardiovascular disease, including heart failure, arrhythmia, coronary heart disease, hypertension, cardiomyopathy, pericarditis, infective endocarditis, aortic and peripheral vascular disease, etc., is the leading cause of mortality globally, accounting for 32% of all deaths. Cardiovascular disease typically occurs more frequently in the elderly, leading to limitations in the application of treatment methods and increased likelihood of adverse reactions. It is expected that morbidity and mortality relating to cardiovascular diseases will decline in the future with improved preventive measures and novel therapeutic approaches.
As one of the approaches, integrating Traditional Chinese and Western medicine, compared with Traditional Western Medicine, has made great progress in the treatment and prevention of cardiovascular diseases. The clinical efficacy and safety of this therapy has received increasing attention and recognition, of which the advantages and treatment characteristics, including clinical evidence, mechanisms, safety data, and novel approaches, are worthy of further investigation and research to promote cardiovascular health.
In this Research Topic, we would like to create a forum to discuss advances in the role of integrated Traditional Chinese and Western medicine in the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular diseases. Specifically, we would like to highlight novel research on the efficacy and safety, as well as mechanistic understanding of an integrated Traditional Chinese and Western medicine approach. In addition, research on this therapeutic approach which incorporates the use of new technologies, such as big data, artificial intelligence, sensing technology, digital twin, embodied intelligence, etc., during the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular diseases, is of interest.
This Research Topic welcomes original research of, but not limited to, the following subtopics:
• Clinical trials exploring the use of Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine for cardiovascular diseases
• System evaluation and meta-analysis of effective Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine therapies for cardiovascular diseases
• Basic research on the efficacy and mechanisms of Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases
• New methods and tools for preventative medicine studying the use of Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases
• New modes using emerging technical approach for the diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular diseases, with Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine
• Research on the safety of integrated therapy of Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine for cardiovascular diseases
Please note: Manuscripts investigating the pharmacology or efficacy of plant (or fungal) extracts or other natural substances/compounds need to comply with the Four Pillars of Best Practice in Ethnopharmacology. Specifically, the composition and the stability of the study material must be described in sufficient detail. (you can freely download the full version here
). Further details can be found in the consensus statement (ConPhyMP) on Best Practice int he Characterisation of Extracts here