Following the great success of Emerging SARS-COV-2 Variants: Genomic Variations, Transmission, Pathogenesis, Clinical Impact and Interventions
and Emerging SARS-COV-2 Variants: Genomic Variations, Transmission, Pathogenesis, Clinical Impact and Interventions, Volume II
, we are pleased to present the 3rd volume of this topic.
Since early 2021, multiple SARS-CoV-2 variants have emerged in various countries across the globe. Of these, ‘Variant of Concern’ has been reported to be highly transmissible, infectious and escape the natural or vaccine-induced immune response. The rapid spread of these variants has led to a daily increase in the SARS-CoV-2 cases associated with severe morbidity and mortality causing the pandemic situation worse.
With the reduced susceptibility to the currently available vaccines, the newly emerged variants have become a serious threat to the global COVID-19 vaccination program. It is important to carry out active genomic surveillance of SARS-CoV-2 variants, understand their transmission, pathogenesis and determine the efficacy of the vaccines and other therapeutics against these variants.
We hope that through this Research Topic, we can explore the global emergence and prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 variants, key mutations impacting transmission, infectivity, pathogenicity and associated immune escape against vaccines and other therapeutics. In this Research Topic, we aim to welcome the submission of high-quality articles focusing on the investigations and research on emerging SARS-CoV-2 variants.
We welcome submissions of Original Research, Review, Mini-Review, and other manuscripts focusing on the following aspects:
- Genomic surveillance of the emerging variants
- Isolation and characterization of the SARS-CoV-2 variants
- Transmission and pathogenesis of the newly emerged strain
- Clinical consequences associated with the variants
- Assessment of the efficacy of the vaccines and other therapeutics
- Bioinformatic and nomenclature solutions for real time
- Global viral genome data sharing and comparative analysis
- Other intervention measuresEmerging SARS-COV-2 Variants: Genomic Variations, Transmission, Pathogenesis, Clinical Impact and InterventionsEmerging SARS-COV-2 Variants: Genomic Variations, Transmission, Pathogenesis, Clinical Impact and Interventions, Volume II